An email has become an essential part of any type of business. There are more than 3 billion active users of the service. Email (Electronic Mail) is a method of exchanging messages between one computer user to more recipients via a network. The idea of email existed earlier than the Internet.
Ray Tomlinson is known to be the creator of Electronic Mail. He created ARPANET’s networked email system in 1971. The concept of instantly sharing messages between machines within an organization gained everyone’s attention and the concept started to spread around the world. However, one problem evaluated with the concept of email.
If there are multiple computers within the network and you are sending a message from one computer to another, then how could you send the message to a specific computer within the network. Ray Tomlinson had the answer to this question.
It was the “@” solution that solved the problem. You can send a message to the destination while addressing it as: “username@computer’s name”, which is how email has been addressed ever since. By the 1980s, Internet Service Provider started to connect people around the world with the internet, and email hosting services started to pop up in the world. Ever since, the world has witnessed many amazing email services such as Google Mail, Hotmail, Outlook and many others.
Today, we are going to talk about Hotmail and Outlook. How does this both differ from each other? Hotmail is one of the leading email services available on the internet. It was started by Sabeer Bhatia and Jack Smith in 1996. It is known to be one of the fastest growing email services on the internet. It gained popularity quickly on the Internet. You can sense the popularity by the fact that Hotmail was acquired by Microsoft for a deal of $400Million in 1997. Microsoft has never failed Hotmail since then. Hotmail earned the tag of the most used email service in 1999. It surpassed Yahoo Mail to earn the tag. Meanwhile, Hotmail is known to be the oldest email service that is still maintaining its spot on the internet.
Google Mail was launched in 2004 and made a great impact on the email industry. Each email service giant had to relaunch its services with new features in order to face the growing popularity of Google Mail. Hotmail also relaunched its service with new features and survived the market. Hotmail has more than 400 million active users in 2019. Hotmail tried to change the name of the Hotmail multiple times but failed to do so because it created confusion among users. Hotmail had to revert to its decision to change the name. Let’s stop and have a look at some of the cool features offered by Hotmail
- 1 Some of the best features offered by Hotmail Inbox
- 2 Difference between Hotmail and Outlook | Let’s Clear the Confusion
- 3 Hotmail – The Registration and Sign in Processes
- 4 Hotmail Login from Mail Apps | Default Emails Apps
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions about Hotmail
- 5.1 Q/1 How do I change the password of the Hotmail account?
- 5.2 Q/2 What to do if I have forgotten my Hotmail password?
- 5.3 Q/3 What to do if someone else is using my Hotmail account?
- 5.4 Q/4 When I open Hotmail Outlook gets opened, is it normal?
- 5.5 Q/4 Is it possible to know if the recipient has read my email?
- 5.6 Q/5 Where is the spam folder in Outlook?
- 5.7 Q/6 How to organize my Inbox?
- 5.8 Q/7 I did not get the emails in my inbox that I was supposed to get?
- 6 Final Verdict
Some of the best features offered by Hotmail Inbox
- You get to have a “Focused Inbox” feature with your Hotmail account. You will only see important emails at the top of your inbox. All the other emails will be filtered out and moved to other folders. Hotmail eventually learns about the emails that matter most to you.
- It uses Ajax programming techniques and supports later versions of popular web browsers.
- You can also navigate through your mailbox without using the mouse with its keyboard control features.
- You can also search for specific emails in your mailbox.
- It offers one of the best spam filters in the email industry. All spam emails will be moved to the spam folder of your account.
- Contact addresses get suggestions for auto-completion while you are composing them.
- You can send an email to multiple email addresses at once with Hotmail.
- Hotmail uses an effective virus scanner that automatically checks the attachment before you open it. If it contains a virus then you will see a warning sign on your screen and it will be automatically deleted.
- You can send attachments up to 100MB with your Hotmail account. Meanwhile, Google Mail only offers to limit up to 25MB.
- You can send large files using One Drive integration with your Hotmail account.
- All Hotmail users get 5GB of free One Drive storage.
- Hotmail gives you better privacy and security compared to other popular email services.
- You also get Skype Integration with your Hotmail account. You can make Skype calls directly from your Hotmail account.
- You also get additional features like Tasks, Contacts, and Calendar with your Hotmail account.
These are some of the amazing features offered by Hotmail. You will get to know more about such users while using Hotmail yourself. Today, we are going to discuss the difference between Outlook and Hotmail. Follow the article ahead to find out:
Difference between Hotmail and Outlook | Let’s Clear the Confusion
Microsoft introduced “Outlook.com” on July 31, 2012, as a beta version. Microsoft decided to end “Hotmail” and relaunch its service with a new brand name: “Outlook.com”. So, Microsoft upgraded and rebranded Hotmail to “Outlook.com”. Existing Hotmail customers had an option to freely upgrade to the beta version of “outlook.com” and had an option to downgrade back.
In 2013, Outlook finally replaced Hotmail for everyone. Users of Hotmail could use their existing Hotmail accounts and received an option to have a new @outlook.com email domain. Outlook.com had 400 million users in 2013 as reported by a source. You will be redirected to “outlook.com” whenever you try to open “hotmail.com” in your web browser. However, you can still create a new email address with the email domain “hotmail.com”.
Hotmail – The Registration and Sign in Processes
Now, we are going to discuss some sign in related issues with Hotmail. Many people face difficulty while signing in on Hotmail from different platforms. Today, we are going to show you how can you sign in on Hotmail from a specific platform. Let’s move ahead and find out more.
Hotmail Login from PC | Windows, MAC or Linux
Signing in on Hotmail is quite easy. You will be able to easily log in on Hotmail from your PC after following the tutorial below. Let’s begin the tutorial:
- Open a web browser on your PC. We recommend using Google Chrome or Microsoft edge web browser.
- Go to the URL tab of the browser and paste this link: “login.live.com” and hit enter.
- Now, type your email address with the email domain name in the required box and click on “Next”.
- Now, enter your account password on the new webpage and click on “Sign in”.
You will be successfully logged into your Hotmail account from PC. You may be asked to verify the security captcha in order to login to Hotmail. Now, let’s have a look at how to login on Hotmail using an Android device.
Hotmail Login From Android Smartphones | Browsers
You can use a web browser to log in on Hotmail from your Android device. Follow the tutorial ahead to find out how:
- Open a web browser on your Android device. We recommend using the Google Chrome web browser.
- Go to the URL tab of the browser and paste this link: “login.live.com” and tap on “search”.
- You will now be redirected to the login page of the Hotmail.
- Enter your email address in the required box and click on “Next”.
- Now, enter your Hotmail account password and click on “Sign in”.
You will be logged into your Hotmail account from your Android device. Now, let’s learn how to login on Hotmail from an iOS device.
Hotmail Login From iOS Devices | Browsers
We will be using the Safari web browser to log in on Hotmail from the iOS device. You can also choose another web browser for the login process.
- Open the Safari web browser on your iOS device.
- Go to the URL tab of the Safari web browser and type “login.live.com” and tap on “Search”.
- You will soon be redirected to the login page of Hotmail.
- Enter your email address or username in the required box and click on “Next”.
- Enter your password on the next page and click on “Sign in”.
You will be logged into your Hotmail account from your iOS device. We are going to talk about how you can now login to Hotmail from the official email apps on your smartphone. We are also going to show you a quick tutorial on how to download this app on your smartphone. Follow the article ahead to find out.
Hotmail Login from Mail Apps | Default Emails Apps
Logging into Hotmail using the official email app is the most convenient way to sign in. With the official app, your email is synced time to time and you receive a notification whenever a new email arrives. You also save time by opening a web browser and then the webpage with the email app. Let’s first find out how to download the official app of Hotmail on your smartphone device.
- Open the official app store on your smartphone device.
- Type “Outlook” and tap on “search”.
- Now, open the first app from the first result. Make sure the developer of the app is Microsoft.
- Now, download the app on your smartphone and wait for it to be automatically installed.
The official email app of Hotmail is installed on your smartphone. Now, let’s learn how to login into Hotmail using the app.
- Open the official email app of Hotmail installed on your smartphone.
- You will see the login page as soon as you open the app.
- Enter your email address and password and click on “Sign in”.
You will be logged into Hotmail from its official app.
Frequently Asked Questions about Hotmail
Now We are going to continue our guide by addressing solutions for some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Hotmail.
Q/1 How do I change the password of the Hotmail account?
Changing the password of your Hotmail account can be a troublesome process for some of us. You need to learn how to do it once and then you will never have to search about how to do it again. Let’s begin the tutorial:
- Open a web browser on your device.
- Paste this link in the URL tab: “live.login.com”.
- Login to your Hotmail account.
- Click on your profile picture located in the top right corner of the screen and then click on “View Account”.
- Now, tap on “Change password”.
- Enter your current password and then enter your new password.
Your Hotmail password will be changed. You may have to verify your identity in order to change the password. You will receive a code on your registered mobile number that you will have to enter on the web page in order to verify your identity.
Q/2 What to do if I have forgotten my Hotmail password?
If you have forgotten your Hotmail password and are looking for a way to recover it then you have come to the right place. Today, we are going to show you a way to recover your Hotmail password. Follow us ahead to find out.
- Open a web browser on your device.
- Paste this link in the web browser: “live.com/password/reset” and hit enter.
- Now, enter the email address whose password you want to recover.
- Now, you will be asked to select a recovery method.
- If you had selected your mobile number as your recovery method then a code will be sent to your mobile number.
- Enter the code on the web page.
- You will be asked to enter a new password for your email account.
Your Hotmail account will be successfully recovered.
Q/3 What to do if someone else is using my Hotmail account?
You should immediately change the password of your account if you suspect that someone else is using your Hotmail account. You should also check your recovery profile to see if there is any unusual method listed in it.
Q/4 When I open Hotmail Outlook gets opened, is it normal?
In 2013, Microsoft rebranded its email services from “Hotmail” to “Outlook.com”. You can still use your Hotmail email address to log in to Outlook. You can also create an email account with the email domain “Hotmail.com”.
Q/4 Is it possible to know if the recipient has read my email?
It is one of the most frequently asked questions about Hotmail. You should know that there is no reliable method available on the internet to check whether the recipients have read your email or not. There may be some tools available on the internet that claim to provide these specific features. But you should know that most of them are fake and inaccurate. If you really want to find out if the recipient has read your email or not then you should contact them directly.
Q/5 Where is the spam folder in Outlook?
Outlook provides one of the best spam filters across the web. You can find the spam folder listed below the Inbox folder.
Q/6 How to organize my Inbox?
Most of us have a messy Inbox. It seems hard to organize the Inbox. However, organizing the inbox is not a hard job. All it requires is time and patience. Here are some tips from us to organize the inbox:
- You should unsubscribe yourself from all the social media messages. Many of us check our social media daily and we do not need an email about it.
- You should also unsubscribe yourself from all the newsletters and promotional emails that you do not need.
- If the email is not very important to you then you should immediately achieve it.
- You can delete old social media emails by searching terms like “Facebook” and then deleting them altogether.
You can follow these tips to organize your Inbox.
Q/7 I did not get the emails in my inbox that I was supposed to get?
Many times Outlook moves some new emails into the spam folder. You should always check the spam folder of your Outlook. You may have already received the mail in the spam folder of Outlook.
Hotmail is one of the leading email services available on the internet. You can use our article as a guide to Hotmail and its services. You can bookmark our website for more tutorials related to Hotmail updates and issues.